On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 14:36, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. swap is 512 MB (twice the RAM), which I thought was OK. But
> > thanks. I just want to make sure that nothing 'weirds" are going on with
> > my machine.
>
> Doesn't matter how much (or little) swap you have. What matters is how
> much free memory you have, including swap. If you run out, you run out.
> There's no magic number.
>
> Take a look at top or procinfo. If you're close to maxing out your swap
> space, you have issues. Either add more RAM, more swap, or limit your
> memory consumption (e.g. run xfce instead of kde, or pine instead of
> Evolution).
>
> You can add a swap file instead of a new swap partition if you can't
> reallocate your partitions. Read the mkswap man page for instructions on
> creating a swap file inside an existing file system.
>
> --
> "Of course I'm in shape! Round's a shape, isn't it?"

While I am not as extreme as my esteemed college to suggest you run pine
or xfce, I will suggest that you kill Mozilla if it's running.  I
recently had a bad dimm so I went from 320M to 256M of ram, since then I
have had Evolution killed several times by the OOM Killer. [Terminator
of backward cattle.=) ]  I just shutdown mozilla, or restart it
frequently and that solved my problem.

I recommendation is get more memory.  It is pretty cheap, you can by
256M of PC2100 DDR for about 70.00 now, or at least, I can.  Look about
the country side.

--
VB programmers ask why no one takes them seriously,
it's somewhat akin to a McDonalds manager asking employees