On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 09:07, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've been told by developers at Ximian that it's
> really not a good idea to try having both Red-Carpet and Up2Date on the
> same machine.

Well they are competition. RedHat wants you to pay for RHN, Ximian wants
to you pay for RC premium services. ;^)

Seriously though, look at what they do. They download and install RPMs,
and do dependency checking. Neither of them munge the RPMD DB in a
particular way that screws up the others (That's RPM's job ;) ).

If you have a problem between conflicting packages, you'll have a
problem between conflicting packages. If you have a conflict between
Ximian's packages and Red Hat's that problem will exist independently of
the tool used to download and install them. That's why you pick one
desktop package set and use it. Jumping back and forth will be a
problem, but it is a human error, not one related to the use of the
tool.

They both suffer from the same problem: namely that if it doesn't know
where to get a dependency, it barfs.

IMO, if they don't tell you *why*, get it from them.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773