On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 00:32, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 23:24, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> >
> > All I've heard today still makes me feel like I shouldn't mix them.
>
> What specifically have you heard that makes you think that? Seriously.
> Maybe I'm not getting all the posts, but so far, the only complaints
> I've seen are problems running Ximian customized packages instead of Red
> Hat customized packages of GNOME. none of that is due to the packaging
> tools, but that Ximian and Red hat use different versions of libraries,
> and make customizations, as does Ximian.
>
> If you run the Ximian modified GNOME desktop and RPM, you need their
> packages, whether your update tool is RC, up2date, or ftp and rpm on the
> command line.

Your points are valid. However, nothing of what I have said is meant to
imply that either is a better tool than the other, or that either tool
is in some way inferior.

For users with the (not too complicated) knowledge to manage their
updates properly, it is obviously a viable solution to use both for
their respective packages.

BUT...

When you run an office with 15 people and none of them know whether
their computer has four or six cylinders, you choose specific paths. And
in my case, one of those paths is to say that those who use Red Hat are
told and taught how to use up2date and are given written instructions
with pictures should they choose to consult it.

Adding a second update manager to the mix would lead my users straight
to "But Windows was simpler" and me straight through the roof.

Now I just wish Red Hat would issue an update for Evolution! 8.0 is at
1.0.8-10, gnomehide is at 1.1.2-1, and I see Rawhide is way ahead at
1.2.1-4. Can we get a little help for the rest of us here?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz