Hi Mike,

As part of the default Red Hat 8.0 install, telnet is
disabled (this is not bad considering it's not secure
and more and more people implement ssh).

You'll have to go to the:

/etc/xinetd.d

directory and edit the "telnet" file, modify the:

disable = yes

parameter to "no", then stop and start xinetd (or send
a "killall -HUP inetd").

You'll then find telnet will work.

Michael.