On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:50:27 -0800 (PST), "Michael Mansour"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> Hi Mike,
>
> As part of the default Red Hat 8.0 install, telnet is
> disabled (this is not bad considering it's not secure
> and more and more people implement ssh).
>
> You'll have to go to the:
>
> /etc/xinetd.d
>
> directory and edit the "telnet" file, modify the:
>
> disable = yes
>
> parameter to "no", then stop and start xinetd (or send
> a "killall -HUP inetd").
>
> You'll then find telnet will work.
>
> Michael.

What I was trying to say in this Email (to maybe help the other people
with the actual problem), is:
1) root CAN NOT telnet into a box
2) regular users CAN.

On my RH box...

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
Kernel 2.4.18-18.7.x on an i686
login: root
Password: <root password>
Login incorrect

login: mikey
Password: <mikey password>
Last login: Thu Feb  6 18:39:27 from rusty
[mikey@dogcart mikey]$ su
Password:  <root password>
[root@dogcart mikey]#

I remember about 5 years ago, on Solaris 7 (or was it 2.6?), there was a
file in an /etc/???? directory you had to edit that would allow root to
telnet.

Thats all I'm saying.  I'm not having any problem the why it works...
only a regular user can telnet in.

Later,
Mike