Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
----------------->>>>
The asterisk means the clock has been declared a system peer--in other
words, you are synchronized to that server. See
/usr/share/doc/ntp-4.1.1/ntpq.htm for more info.

I can't find any reference to an = sign, though, so I'm guessing that it
means your clock isn't in any of the other states. You may need to do some
more research on this one.

You'll want to add a time server to /etc/ntp/step-tickers, so that the
clock is brough up-to-date before attempting kernel time discipline. That
will solve the problem of a bad hardware clock.

Hmm... I thought it was the other way, but I guess that makes sense.

What is step-tickers?  I just put the time server on a line all by itself,
but don't really know how to check this.