On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is a hda a partition?

No, /dev/hda is the first drive on the first IDE controller.
/dev/hda[1..N] designates each partition on the /dev/hda device.

> I was recently told my program is on hda6 and it is out of space. (This
> shouldn't be the case as the program doesn't take up much space)

"df -h" will show your mounted partitions, and how much free space is on
each.

> If these are just blank partitions can I eliminate the other hda's and
> make one big one from the command line?

You can't really merge partitions. Well, you *can*, but it isn't trivial,
and will usually hose your data.

Your best bet is to backup your data, reinstall using the custom
partitioning option, and create the entire drive as the root partition
(with a 20GB /boot, if you aren't using grub).

--
"Of course I'm in shape! Round's a shape, isn't it?"