Dear community,

back to the original problem:
- Laptop Acer TravelMate 630 latest model 1 week old
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- Kernel 2.4.20 from kernel.org
- APM compiled; ACPI left out
- laptop supporting ACPI

Lon Lentz gave me advice to recompile the kernel without ACPI but with
APM. I did so. Here are the first (disappointing) results:

[A] general
- typing # apm -v running the machine only with batteries causes the
same fault output # AC on-line, no system battery

[B] terminal mode (without X)
- typing # apm -s (for suspend) forces the machine to go to sleep. Fan,
hdd and everything's powered off. The sleep-led is activated. => That's
right. But: the system does not wake up. => Shit!
- typing # apm -S (for standby) switches off screen and hdd, but no fan
and no cpu. => is it right? At least, the system wakes up ;-)

[C] X11-mode (graphical with KDE 3.0)
- typing # apm -s (for suspend) tries to send the machine to sleep, but
if fails. The computer hangs up somewhere, screen is off and nothing
works. Waking up impossible.
- typing # apm -S (for standby) sends the machine to standby-mode with
the same results as in terminal mode. Waking up is also possible, but
after that, resizing windows, drag and drop as well as possibly other
X-features are not working.

=> Big Questionmark ??? Is it the kernel, is it the laptop or is it me
who is to stupid to set up apm right? Is it possible the hardware only
understands ACPI but not APM, what reason ever? What to do?

Thanks,
Arthur