Arthur,

I had that problem with ACPI too!!!
My notebook is a Compaq EVO N160.  I compiled 2.4.20 kernel with the
patch
that you can download on the link above and it worked fine.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=36832&release_id=83005

To patch the kernel, put the .diff file inside the kernel source
directory
and do this:

# patch -p1 < acpi-20021212-2.4.20.diff

After that choose the ACPI support and recompile the kernel.

Now I have the following problem:  I have Red Hat 7.3 and gnome
installed and
gnome has an applet to show battery status and so on.  I tried to use it
but
it didnīt work.  Gnome supports ACPI ?  How can I see the battery status
?
Do I need acpid ?

Best Regards,
Rodrigo.

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Arthur Mueller wrote:
>
> > Dear community,
> >
> > back to the original problem:
> > - Laptop Acer TravelMate 630 latest model 1 week old
> > - RedHat Linux 7.3
> > - Kernel 2.4.20 from kernel.org
> > - APM compiled; ACPI left out
> > - laptop supporting ACPI
> >
> > Lon Lentz gave me advice to recompile the kernel without ACPI but
with
> > APM. I did so. Here are the first (disappointing) results:
> >
> > [A] general
> > - typing # apm -v running the machine only with batteries causes the

> > same fault output # AC on-line, no system battery
> >
> > [B] terminal mode (without X)
> > - typing # apm -s (for suspend) forces the machine to go to sleep.
Fan,
> > hdd and everything's powered off. The sleep-led is activated. =>
That's
> > right. But: the system does not wake up. => Shit!
> > - typing # apm -S (for standby) switches off screen and hdd, but no
fan
> > and no cpu. => is it right? At least, the system wakes up ;-)
> >
> > [C] X11-mode (graphical with KDE 3.0)
> > - typing # apm -s (for suspend) tries to send the machine to sleep,
but
> > if fails. The computer hangs up somewhere, screen is off and nothing

> > works. Waking up impossible.
> > - typing # apm -S (for standby) sends the machine to standby-mode
with
> > the same results as in terminal mode. Waking up is also possible,
but
> > after that, resizing windows, drag and drop as well as possibly
other
> > X-features are not working.
> >
> > => Big Questionmark ??? Is it the kernel, is it the laptop or is it
me
> > who is to stupid to set up apm right? Is it possible the hardware
only
> > understands ACPI but not APM, what reason ever? What to do?
>
> Buggy BIOS?
>
> Some issues can be dealt with by configuring ampd in
/etc/sysconfig/apmd.