I would agree that there is something to be said for learning to batten
 down your linux boxen. However, keeping things  behind a firewall is
 just good practice. Yes, it may give one a false sense of security, but
 it also gives one a safe place to learn and grow; i.e. behind the
 firewall. With a firewall, you can limit the ports available from the
 outside straight away. True you can do that with a Linux box from the
 outset, but there may be things you want to do in the meantime that
 require those services.  I think in general, having a firewall in place
 is always a plus and having more of them limits the number of hacked
 boxes and launching pads for other exploits. No it's not a cure-all, as
 so many have pointed out. But I'd still recommend everyone having one.

 <<JAV>>