On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Budi Febrianto wrote:

> What are the different if I using RHL 8 as firewall, rather than using
> pre-built firewall. They say that the pre-built firewall come with
> hardened operating system, I think Linux already did.

A packet filter is a packet filter. Some of the commercial firewalls
support integrated proxies and a nice GUI. They also cost a lot more. You
can spend a couple hundred for a cheap box with Linux and iptables and
SOCKS, or $15,000 for a Nokia box with Check Point. Neither is "better."
They're different products.

And Red Hat is *not* haredened out of the box; you will need to do that
yourself or with the help of a tool like Bastille. Then again, a Solaris
or Windows box isn't "hardened" out of the box, either...even if you load
Check Point on it. If you want a somewhat-hardened system out of the box,
use OpenBSD.

Define your security requirements, and then see which product will meet
your needs better. If you don't understand your security requirements, you
can't make an informed decision. And for heaven's sake, don't leave your
security decisions up to random strangers on the net.

--
"Of course I'm in shape! Round's a shape, isn't it?"