Sigh. I don't normally get into this sort of thing, so I'll make it quick.

A simple iptables script that doesn't allow anything to come in from the
external interface generally takes me less than 5 minutes to set up (less if
I just copy it from another box).

The cost of 5 minutes of my day can be far outweighted by a rooted box
because 'oops - we missed something'. It could mean going on-site and
re-setting up the box again fully from scratch to be safe.

Firewall? Cheapest insurance my customers pay.

Regards,

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services P/L