Nicholas Fitzgerald said:
> Well, that's the rub. IceSource.com is a web domain hosted on this very
> server. The mail server, mail.icesource.com, is on another box entierly.
> Nowhere am I telling sendmail to go to icesource.com, in fact, it's the
> domain sending the email to sendmail. I think this points me in the  right
> direction. If I create a DNS entry pointing at this server, and  direct
> sendmail to it, then I should be ok.  I think!

but you are telling sendmail to go to icesource.com to deliver the
message.

There is no MX record for icesource.com. So sendmail connects to
icesource.com's IP to deliver the message. Now since the system
is the same, it probably would be nice if the system could see that
and just use mailer=local instead of relay, but it does not, mandrake's
sendmail does not either so I think it's not redhat-specific. There
is probably a reason for this, e.g. many filters that tie into the
mail server sometimes are only triggered when email is recieved
"normally"(e.g. through smtp). Like my spamassassin stuff, spamassasin
is not triggered on my mail server if I mail from the command
line(using the mail command), but it is triggered when incoming
mail comes through SMTP(I use postfix). I also use amavis on some
systems though haven't investigated whether or not postfix calls
amavis in a similar fashion(both amavis and spamassassin are server-side
in my setups).

There may be a sendmail configuration option for this, not sure,
it's been more then a year since I seriously used sendmail and I have
no exposure to the more recent 8.12(or anything newer) 8.11 was the
last that I used.

so, hope this helps in explaining why it's doing what it's doing.

Or you could switch to postfix(I would expect redhat to include
a version of postfix on their CDs somewhere), in my experience it
is easier to configure and manage then sendmail(I had been using
sendmail for about 5-6 years before I switched last year). Or
exim I hear is good too though never seriously used it myself.
I confirmed again that postfix does use the local mailer if the
message is recieved on the same host for which it is destined to,
but again, none of the filters kick in, it just goes straight to
the MDA(cyrus in my case).

nate