>this may be a really basic question but i could really do with some
>pointers - i am very new to red hat... i have looked around for a solution
but have had no luck.

Where have you looked? Please be aware what you're asking gets asked twice a
week at least here. It is a FAQ. A decent google search would probably come
up with the answer.

Secondly, 'newbie question' is NOT a good subject line. This could mean
anything. When posting here please use a good subject line. In this case
something like 'firewall settings won't change' or something would be more
appropriate.

Short answer. The settings DO change. The tool used to make the setting
changes DOES NOT read the current configuration. It ALWAYS starts in 'high'
security setting. Firstly, this was very annoying, but with the amount of
people getting trapped by this, I'd say Redhat really need to fix this.

Anyway, there's your answer.

Regards,

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)