Personally speaking I must tell you that I like MySQL very much
because of its compactness (in the 3.x-releases). But at some points
you're right, it wasn't the best database-solution to choose because
of it's features - but I was able to "emulate" a lot through php-
scripts.
The 4.x-branch changes this, as you already stated. But I wouldn't
use 4.x in a "rough" production-environment at the moment. If you use
it for your university that's okay I believe - but you can't use it
in a REALLY critical environement yet.

PostgreSQL has a lot of the things MySQL-users always wanted. But
MySQL is catching up. Therefor I would say: Choose whatever you like.
As far as I know with both correctly configured and administrated
(adding indexes etc.) you can use bpoth even for heavy-loaded sites.
It's a question of peronal likes / dislikes

Give MySQL 4.x a try - it's worth it. But PostgreSQL on the other
hand already has all the features that are now arriving in the MySQL
4.x-releases.

No easy questions ... make up your own mind about it. I don't want to
influence you ... and be asured: Both solutions are quite good and
fast!

Greetingz
 Stefan