On Mié 26 Feb 2003 18:58, Ryurick M. Hristev wrote:

> > That's true with all the database systems I have used (Informix, Oracle
> > and PostgreSQL).
> > It has to do with how diferent versions handly the database files, and
> > how it changes. Any way, you don't have to do a dump-restore with patch
> > upgrades, only with version upgrade (say, from 7.2 to 7.3).
>
> So, I've heard as well.
>
> But my question is what the heck do you do when you have a db
> within hundreds (or more) of GB range ?

I would install the new PostgreSQL on another directory
(/usr/local/pgsql.new), bring it up on another port, dump the old DB on to
the new one.
Or tell the users that the system will be down for a few hours (maybe less
than an hour, depending on the amount of registers you have), and upgrade at
that time.
Or, don't upgrade that offen.

The worst time waste is when you have millons of registers on your database
tables, not the size (example, TEXT columns with enormous amounts of text).

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?