On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 07:52, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   this whole thing was really poorly done.
>
> rday

Yet another reason why my business, and myself are being pushed away by
the whole "new" direction that RedHat has gone in. Sadly, after nearly
ten years of "sticking" to RedHat, I'm going to have to divert my
interests to another distribution that isn't going to follow in the
footsteps of the larger looming monsters such as Microsoft and IBM.
Bouncing versions like this, especially after pushing the version 8.1
idea for so long, is more than poorly done - it's as though the
principle behind the versioning scheme has been thrown out of the window
altogether without thinking of the long term effects on the people that
have come to depend on them - and in thinking that users/sellers of
systems with 7.2/7.3 versions are going to be literally out on the
streets with this version change, they're making for some really bad
business karma.

I fear that RedHat, IF this move goes through, which I'm sure it is now,
is going to cause quite a ripple throughout the overall RedHat
community; and if the entire ploy is aimed at "Big Business" and
commercial services, they're certainly going to find out that some folks
are going to opt for a different distribution instead of fighting the
"version is now outdated" trap.

IMHO this is - but I'm not going to chuck more money down the drain for
a distro I've started to not like or trust. And it really sucks that
after all these years, I'm starting to "not trust" RedHat.

--
Tue Mar 25 08:20:00 EST 2003
 08:20:00 up 3 days, 19:07,  4 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.16, 0.15
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

People who develop the habit of thinking of themselves as world
citizens are fulfilling the first requirement of sanity in our time.
                -- Norman Cousins