I disagree, I think there are several valid reasons to be annoyed by Red
Hat's latest move. Most of which have to do with running Red Hat in an
enterprise environment.

Why should third parties develop for an ever changing platform? Already
it's hard enough to convince them that there is a large enough user
base, now try and explain to them that there will be a major version
change at seemingly random times.

How on Earth does this look in the least bit professional? Was 8.0 the
beta for 9.0? Six months for a major version number? This comes off as a
poor management decision, it makes Red Hat appear unstable. Between
their release of a bunch of "enterprise" distributions, the recent cut
off of rhn and two major releases in six months, Red Hat looks desperate
for sources of income. Big corporations won't base their infrastructure
on a company that doesn't look like it's going to be around next year.

Why would I want to support another distribution? I was only now
starting to place 8.0 in non critical systems, now you expect me to
support 7.X, 8.X, and 9.X. And don't give me the "they have AS for that"
argument, show me the company that will pay for AS for a nameserver and
I'll show you a company going out of business next week. Red Hat can
leverage administrators familiarity with their product to sell the AS
product line for mission critical systems such as Oracle Databases, but
if Red Hat decides to shoot itself in the foot like Caldera did, don't
think I won't switch distributions in a second.

I was planning on becoming a RHCE, but this is seriously giving me
second thoughts. Even if Red Hat extends the length of their
certification what's the point? "I'm certified on Red Hat 9.0", "oh well
we're using Red Hat 12.0 here so that doesn't mean much" And don't
laugh, the guys that actually give weight to certifications are the same
guys that think like this.

Linux distributions often just don't seem to get it, RH will never be
Microsoft, they won't even be Sun, Red Hat is in a prime position to
take the lion's share of enterprise Linux, and make some decent money in
doing so, I fail to see the point of shenanigans like this.

Jared