At 09:33 PM 3/24/2003 -0600, you wrote:

IMHO a distro-neutral certification is a computing science degree. [...]

Perhaps I'm showing my bias but I don't like *any* certifications.  Show
me somebody who's got the theory and the braincells and I'll teach him
the syntax.  If you know what you're trying to do rather than just
regurgitating what you learned, then it doesn't matter if it's Linux or
VMS.

I'm with Ed here. I spent a couple of years in CompSci before moving to Business Administration, and I did lots of database programming even before that. And for that last 15 years in business, the general concepts and underlying theory I learned while programming C, C++, LISP, assembly language, and BASIC (Apple Basic at that) have served me well. The even-more-general stuff I learned in CompSci has taught me to speak nerd, and today I can design software packages generally better than the people who write them for me.

Certifications are valuable to whatever extent they impress the person you want to impress, period. The value held by the certification is DIRECTLY related to the values of the person running the interview. Me... I want to see the mindset, the discipline, the will to learn, the love of challenges, the attitude, the self-teaching ethos, and the recognition of the immense importance both of effectiveness and integrity, with efficiency coming in third.

I'm happy if someone has taken the time to get a cert in addition to all that, but anyone who thinks the cert will qualify him for the job has already disqualified himself before the interview starts.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz [EMAIL PROTECTED]