* Joe Polk

> I typically partition as follows:
> /boot - can be very small, around 50-75MB. I think RH8 recommends 75mb.
> /     - I like to make this fairly large, but not the largest since it
>       houses everything not specified elsewhere.
> /home - If you intend to have lots of users or share a lot of files,
>       then it's good to have this be the bulk of your space. I create my
>       Samba shares here, so this makes sense for me.
> /var  - If you're going to be moving mail for users, then this should
>       have it's own partition and be fairly large.
> /usr  - Very important partition because the more applications you add,
>       the bigger this directory will get.
> /tmp  - Some people make a separate partition for /tmp but provided / is
>       large enough it isn't necessary.

Well, shouldn't / be kept small so that you can boot even with disk
errors?

> SWAP  - Always make a decent swap partition! At least 256MB, but more if
>       you have a lot of RAM.

I always thought this is odd, and to the layman it seems that it
should be the other way around...  (Like the saying that you have to
have money if you want to get rich.)

Anyway, if you do not plan to reinstall very soon, using LVM is the
trick.  Then you can give and take disk space whenever you like to do
this.

--
 Jon Haugsand, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.norges-bank.no