From: Joe Polk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 10:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: 38 GB partitioning advice

I see a couple of problems already. /boot should be no more than 100MB.
Anything more is a waste. / should be way more than 500MB. I know that
some will say "I run my entire Linux box on a 486DX66 and 250MB HD!"
Well, this is RH8 and given what you're telling me, I would jack that
up. I would give it at least a Gig. I use a 4gig on my server but it
shares /usr too and not many applications will be loaded. Also, if users
are going to be uploading these files, then they will likely reside in
/home. If you're having an anonymous FTP server then you can point that
where you want, but I would still use /home for all such storage.  /usr
is application data and I wouldn't use if for ftp storage, but you're
certainly free to do so. Hell, you can put it anywhere you want, but
that's just my assessment.
Here's how I would do it, take this for what you will:
/boot   = 80MB
/       = 5G
/usr    = 3G
/home   = remaining
SWAP    = 512MB

There are a plethora of opinions I'm sure on whether this is necessary,
take that for what you will. If you plan to add Apache and email
services, then add a /var partition. Keep in mind Apache by default now
uses /var/www for it's root, not /home/http as in the past. You can,
however, move it to /home if you wish.

The important thing to stress is, increase / and make /boot smaller as
indicated. 500MB is too small for / and way too big for /boot.

<<JAV>>

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 08:06, Douglas, Stuart wrote:
> Thanks for the reply (all of you!).
>
> I did read a tiny bit about LVM in the RH install/config documentation.  It seemed
> like very useful technology, but I stayed away from it for the moment given my
> embryonic understanding of the Linux environment.
>
> My setup is strictly for an anonymous (private...by fixed IP list at the FW) FTP
> server that will take in HUGE (100-1000 MB) MPEG2 files which then get moved to our
> video production servers (the FTP basically serves as a temporary holding bin for
> inbound content from our clients).  Being stuck on the cheap, I'm using an old
> PII/400 PC with 256 MB of RAM and 2 40 GB IDE drives connected to a HighPoint ATA
> controller card and setting up RAID1 during the Linux install.  I started the
> install yesterday, and after feeling my way through the manual DiskDruid part
> (something like 5-6 times!) I THINK I have the RAID done correctly (I'll find out
> this morning, I left it doing the drive checking part on all the partitions
> yesterday evening).  I went with 500 MB partitions for swap, / and /boot.  I went
> with 4 GB /var and /home partitions, and then put all remaining disk space into the
> /usr partition (where I'll point the FTP server).  I have no idea if the box will
> even end up booti!
ng!