I've not played with LVM myself, but it would certainly give you
flexibility. If I don't find a buyer for my HP Netserver, I may just
play with LVM myself.  For a relatively static server, though, I think
you'l do fine with the partitioning scheme I gave. I build most of my
servers based on such a percentage or setup. Now desktops and laptops
are a different beast. /usr really get's used then because you tend to
want to load a lot of applications on them. My first Linux book was one
that shipped with RH5.1. It did a good job of laying out what partitions
are used for and recommended sizes. I've loosely used that ever since,
upping the sizes for modern boxes and versions as I've moved along.
Good luck on the project! Glad I could help.

<<JAV>>

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 10:24, Douglas, Stuart wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed reply, Joe!
>
> Well...the box DID boot with that HighPoint card and software RAID1 on the 2 drives.
>  I'm going to redo it all over again, but with your partition recommendations.  No
> plans for a Web server, but you never know.  This is really just a box for me to
> mess with regarding FTP setup and/or act as an emergency spare to replace any in
> production.
>
> Now I have to go read up on LVM to see if I can add it to the mix.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Stuart

ti!