* Monte Milanuk
> The source code for the kernel should be either installed (check
> /usr/src/linux) or available as an additional (large) package that you can
> install from your install media.  IIRC, it goes by something like
> kernel-source-<version><architecture>.rpm, i.e.
> kernel-source-2.4.17-i686.rpm.  It's been a while since I've dinked w/ this
> specifically, so hopefully it's somewhat close.  This version of the kernel
> is the one that RedHat uses, which may be slightly different than the plain
> 'vanilla' one you would find at www.kernel.org, which is where the main hub
> of Linux kernel development resides.

The kernel RPMs issues are a little confusing, I think.  Because the
ordinary kernel RPM that follows most Linux distributions is in fact
the kernel source code, and not only a binary kernel code.  This is so
because it is customary for many Linux users to recompile the kernel
(or compile some modules) in order to fine tune the kernel code for
the specific hardware.

The kernel source RPM is something else, and very few people play
around with the kernel source RPM.  In fact, I cannot think of
anything you can use the kernel source RPM except in order to make a
new kernel RPM be it kernel source RPM or ordinary kernel RPM.

So do not use the kernel source RPM.

(What I would like is a howto for using other source RPM.  I get
confused by all the files included.)

--
 Jon Haugsand, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.norges-bank.no