On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Zoki wrote:

> Okay, I'm affraid this is going to be the last try before being forced to
> take up Windows again: I've been fighting with the e-mail system for the
> last month without finding any sollutions. I tryed to get some feedback
> from this list but without success; except for some not very to the point
> reactions. I'll repeat the question(s) with the sincere hope somebody will
> be able to help me out because after the last 3 days I'm close to attack
> the PC physically. Anything that should be simple in the normal world
> either doesn't work or doesn't want to start or takes hours to figure out.
> And it's not like I'm not well equiped with all kind of books.

Reading this I firstly thinked your keyboard bites your fingers or
something :-) Calm down, that is only a computer. And it will do ONLY what
you instruct him to. If it doesn't do what you want, the blame isn't on
it, but rather, yes, you guessed, on you :-)

> These are the problems:
>
>       Netscape's mailer sends the wrong address in the "From" field because of
> which I can't mail to this list from Linux.
>       Instead of sending my address - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - it sends something
> like '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' or              'root@localhost'.
>
>       I tryed to use Pine but the same problem persists: The "From" field is
> wrong: I get constantly "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

This isn't a Linux problem. It's a zokiphoto user behaviour problem :-).
Firstly, stop logging in as root and trying to send mail as you were
zokiphoto. It's both safer (for you against your own unthought actions)
and more standard to open your sessions as a normal user then issuing only
very clearly delimited as administrative actions only as root (using su
command).

However, if you stubbornly keep to log in as root and try to send mail as
zokiphoto, Linux will rather help you (as a permissive OS he is) but for
this you'll have to learn to configure sendmail. Sendmail has a feature
call masquerading which permits you to transform the outgoing mail's
headers at your please. Be sure the first solution (log in as zokiphoto)
is MUUUUCH simpler :-)

As other users pointed out, both Netscape and Pine let you modify the
domain part of your From: field on sent messages, but the user thing it's
another bussiness. Even though, Netscape lets you set the Reply-To field
to whatever address you want. Of course, in order to do this it's better
to read a little documentation (I know, I know, M. Gates wanted to learn
us to do otherwise :-) before getting angry and ruining your health :-)

> Other problems:
>
>       While trying to start xbru I get an error "BRU=unable to find/exec bru
> executable-Aborting". After a check everything        seems to be in place.
> What's the problem here and what do I do to solve it?

It is required to run xbru as root. And from the day of daylight saving
occurance, you also have to issue

export TZ=[P,W,C,E,A]DT

according to your timezone before each use or bru or xbru. Read some 2-3
days old messages on this list for more details.

Hope this helps you cheering a little :-)

                                Cristian