<LARGE SNIP>

> I already said "mea culpa" to the department head and she said "mea
> culpa" for not backing up her computer.  (Fortunately, there was nothing
> particularly important on the computer.)  Now it's time for Red Hat to
> say "mea culpa" about having a flaw in their software and to fix it, and
> for you to say "mea culpa" for not listening to reason.
>
> |>oug

I'm not going to write an essay here Doug.

How about I freely admit that Kickstart should not erase drives you've
explicitly told it not to.

You're right. It shouldn't.

But please have a think about things you shouldn't do. Seriously, when we
get PCs in here for re-installs we explicitly state we will not guarantee
and data on the PC will be intact. That's not being overly careful, that's
20 years of experience (yes, since 83) of realizing anything can happen and
usually does. HOWEVER, before we start on a PC, we always Ghost the entire
image onto the network. Just to be sure. Sure, it can take a while on large
hard disks, but once the imaging is set up, again, I just leave it running
and come back to it when finished. Total real 'hands on' time for me to
image the drive is 5 minutes tops.

For me, just not worth the aggravation or dissappoinment of the customer.

So, to sum up - "Yes - the software should be fixed. It is wrong the way it
is. No - we can never rely on our tools and it's only our smarts that
prevent accidents from occuring"

Now, I think that is a very fair compromise, so that will be the last I
contribute to this thread.

Thanks for the discussion.

Regards,

---