Mark Johnson-Barbier wrote:
I'm a qmail fan so I'll outline some things I like about qmail that may
be features that would help meet your needs:

I'm a courier fan, so I'll outline why I prefer it to qmail. http://www.courier-mta.org/

- secure
- fast

Courier is these as well, and is designed very similarly to qmail. Courier is, additionally, more stable in my experience.

- several options for user setup (/etc/passwd, mysql, vpopmail, etc.)

Courier provides these natively, without having to apply patches from third parties.

- includes pop3 daemon - or you can use another

Courier includes a pop3 and imap service, and additionally a fax gateway, the "maildrop" MDA and utilities (which you'll probably end up using with qmail anyway), a mail list manager, authenticated SMTP, a web based configuration tool, and webmail.

These are all optional components, and in most cases you could use tools from third parties, but using Courier's gives you a coherent configuration.

If you're using Qmail or Postfix, you're probably going to end up running at least Courier's IMAP/POP3 and maildrop. They're *the* tools for Maildirs, and have been for a long time.

- can be configured for SMTP authentication -- if used with included
pop3 server pop3 auth can add IP address to allowed smtp relayhosts
(cron cleans relay hosts later)

Courier doesn't do "pop before smtp", but it does support authenticated SMTP without third party patches.

- allows maildir access which gives you the option to store mailboxes on
a filer or alternate storage array without file locking problems
associated with mbox data storage

Courier too.

- vpopmail (www.inter7.com) gives easy management of virtual domains
(quotas, multiple mailboxes, etc.)

Courier can use vpopmail, but has native facilities for it's features, so you don't need third party hacks.

- qmailadmin (www.inter7.com) *could* give your customers the ability to
manage their own email accounts, mailboxes, and passwords without your
assistance (if you want that -- could save support calls)

Unfortunately, I haven't used it, so I can't compare Courier to this...

- supports several spam filtering packages

Courier, too.

- easy integration of RBL lists (the author of qmail created RBL
software that is used by several RBLs and designed the integration)

Courier, too.

- support "dash" extension addressing for spam control:
([EMAIL PROTECTED] forwards to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or can be
piped > /dev/null when it gets spammed) -- my favorite feature

Courier, too.

- fast mailing lists

Yep. I'll mention that qmail failed to work properly for Red Hat, though. This is one of the reasons that I doubt its stability.

- well supported (lists on http://cr.yp.to) and "The qmail handbook" &
www.lifewithqmail.org, and professional support available

The courier lists are also very helpful.

- claims to be the second most popular MTA

It probably still is, but a survey hasn't been done in a very long time. A lot of people have moved on to better MTA's.

- easy monitoring/management -- you can use djb's daemontools to keep it
running and mrtg to track trends/usage www.inter7.com/qmailmrtg or
www.inter7.com/mrtg

I haven't yet compared qmailmrtg to Greg Johnstone's log analyzer for Courier:
http://www.enesbe.com.au/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EnesbeDownloads

Courier is also, by virtue of not needing third party hacks, and by supporting rpm builds, much easier to build and install. Its MTA configuration is very similar to qmail, so it's not really easier or more difficult than qmail itself. However, since the software you're using in concert with the MTA is well integrated, those portions are easier to configure with Courier, so the setup as a whole is easier.