Dont ask me how to do this, because its very ugly, from what I have heard, but you could use something like NIS to do network authentication, and have one machine serving home directories via nfs...

that way, each time a user logs on, NIS uses that users defaults, and auto mounts the home dir off the home dir server via nfs, so each user can use the same home dir no matter which machine he or she logs in on...

granted as I said, its ugly, AND if the nis server hiccups, or if a machine is connected and the NFS connection drops, that machine will have to be hard booted to get it to come back up... (I have had a little experience with this <grin>)

Cheers
Jeff

Jim Vellenga wrote:

Greetings everyone,

I have several Linux machines running on my home network. At this point
every user has their own home directory on each machine and would need
to transfer files from one home to another to get them on the other
machine. What I want to do, but don't know how to do, is have the home
directories of all the users be hosted on the main server so no matter
which machine they log in from, they will have access to their files. I
would guess that I would need some sort of fall back if the server were
to be down for one reason or another, but this sort of setup would allow
me to easily backup people's information onto cd's by just having to
back up the /home on the server.

Thinking about this, I would probably need to centralize the password
and user information as well, and that would definitely need a fall back
so that users could log onto the local machine even if the server was
down for one reason or another.

Could someone provide some helpful advice or direct me to a location
with instructions on doing this.

Oh, one of the machines is running Mandrake 9.1 (I thought I would check
it out and find I am really liking it) the others including the server
are on RH 8.0.

Thanks,

Jim