On 27-Mar-2003/20:47 -0500, Jim Vellenga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have several Linux machines running on my home network.  At this point
>every user has their own home directory on each machine and would need
>to transfer files from one home to another to get them on the other
>machine.  What I want to do, but don't know how to do, is have the home
>directories of all the users be hosted on the main server so no matter
>which machine they log in from, they will have access to their files.  I
>would guess that I would need some sort of fall back if the server were
>to be down for one reason or another, but this sort of setup would allow
>me to easily backup people's information onto cd's by just having to
>back up the /home on the server.
>
>Thinking about this, I would probably need to centralize the password
>and user information as well, and that would definitely need a fall back
>so that users could log onto the local machine even if the server was
>down for one reason or another.

You may want to be careful about application versions because they will
all write their user settings into the same home directory. If you're
running different versions of KDE, GNOME, Mozilla, or whatever on differnt
machines, the config files may not be compatible across versions.

It may not be best for you, but I solved this by running the fastest
machine as a server and the others as X-Terminals.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D