spamassassin is include with RH9.  Although, probably not gui configurable
along with the redhat sendmail gui.  But yes, blocking open relays only
helps a little.  Spam still comes via legitamate gateways.

IMHO, MIMEDefang can block spam without the need for spamassassin - and it
would be at the smtp connection level.  It's just the MIMEDefang developers
are not open to making their system configurable via config/preferences
files.

There needs to be a sendmail milter developed that is highly configurable
based on virtual domain preferences.  RH (or someone) could really make a
market for that.
-eric wood