On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 07:15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It seems like the biggest blocker to offically promoting use of BitTorrent
> over using curl (http) or ftp mirrors is providing the BitTorrent client.
> RH seems to be over 70% of the way towards being able to support
> distributing the BitTorrent client.  They already write, distribute and
> support applications which use Python and Gtk.  But they seem to prefer to
> access Gtk in their own apps via PyGNOME instead of via wxPython.  There
> would be advantages if they switched to using wxPython.  For example, they
> could use the same exact up2date based on wxPython on cygwin without
> having to run a X server (just then package cygwin as RPMs and add the
> approbate RHN channel).  But, of course, just for the purposes of
> providing BitTorrent they wouldn't have to migrate their own stuff to
> wxPython, just provide wxPythonGTK.  So, if they are willing to add
> wxPythonGTK to a future distributions, it would seem logical to also be
> willing to add BitTorrent to a future distribution.  I'm guessing Red Hat
> should be able to easily figure out how to setup their own tracker, create
> the approbate .torrent files and leave the initial downloader online.

Yes, wxPython! ;-)  But then they'd get into the same quandry they've
gotten into with Python.  They insist on naming it 'python' and then
resting a bunch of dependencies on top of the version number, which
makes it difficult to upgrade the version of python used on the system.
They'd do the same thing with wxPython which would make it difficult for
those of use who use those tools for development.  It's great that they
use Python and adding wxPython to the mix would be even better, but they
need to find a way to separate the executables and libraries that their
tools expect from the ones the user can upgrade.

Still, I like your way of thinking =)

>   The question then becomes, if Red Hat customers would be comfortable
> with a company promoting a BitTorrent method.

It could be optional.

>   Given that neither wxPythonGTK or BitTorrent are currently distributed
> as offical RH RPMs, I doubt that we will see it offically promoted by RH
> this month.  It is more likely that RH will add it as part of the Fall
> 2003 release of RH.

I'm holding you to this <wink>

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer