On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 17:13, Vidiot wrote:
> >/ shouldn't really be bigger than 500MB, IMHO.
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I disagree.  I'm currently using 423292, so 500 doesn't leave much head room.
> The extra space is used with logs, etc.
>  Especially when running a server.

In that case you need to address what you are doing.

You can use what you want - making the whole drive your OS will
give a root partition in the gigabyte range. Much fun when it goes
wrong. Been there, got the t-shirt.

The root file system should consist of the basic functionality
needed to get the system booted to single user mode with as many
diagnostic/repair tools as possible.And no more. Some folks even mount
root as read only - along with /usr.

The /var file system is usually  for logs - a busy web server may
generate gigabytes of log data per day. Likewise for a mail server.
T-shirt time again, :-).

I've seen people setup a /tmp file system too - I can see the reason
but I've not yet found it to be necessary.

/usr is where the extra (ie multiuser) system stuff is kept.
/usr/local for extra software you install.
/home for user data - as big as it can be.

If you are running your logs on the root f/s then you have a serious
risk of root being filled with logs - which means no more space for
temp files. At this point you're going to need imagination - and
the server will be down.  ;->

Personally, I've been running/installing/maintaining UNIX servers
for more than fifteen years and setting out the disk partitions is
probably the most important lesson I've learnt from my peers.

> So, IMHO, YMMV :-)

as you say, IMHO,YMMV.

/rant, <flamesuit on>   :-)

ttfn