I'm new to the list, but I hope someone has a solution here. My internet connection WAS fine until I decided to be clever and mess with it.

I was connected through a 4-port Linksys router to a cable modem, and both my Red Hat 8.0 box and my husband's Win2K laptop could connect with no problem. The router also acted as a DHCP server. I decided yesterday to set up my Red Hat machine as a print server, so I disabled DHCP on the router and assigned a static IP to the RH box (the same IP the router always assigned: 192.168.1.100).

When I did that, I was no longer able to browse or get email, so I tried to change it back. I enabled DHCP on the router, reset everything, including making sure that eth0 gets its IP from the DHCP server.

So now the router won't route. I can ping hosts on the internet by IP and by hostname, but I can only browse by IP (which is not exactly practical). I tried to connect directly to the cable modem, taking the router out of the loop, and I can still ping by IP or hostname, but I still can't browse. (I also tried a reset of the router, and all that seemed to do was revert it back to the factory password.)

The odd thing is that only my Red Hat box has this problem. The Win2k machine also has problems with the router (can ping, can't browse), but when it's connected directly to the cable modem, it can browse just fine.

The DNS settings in /etc/resolv.conf on the Red Hat machine are exactly the same as the DNS settings on the Win2k machine, so that isn't it.

Another strange thing about the Red Hat box is that when I start it up, Gnome tells me that it can't resolve the hostname, livia. However, the /etc/hosts file DOES contain
127.0.0.1 livia localhost.localdomain localhost
and has contained that line throughout this entire mess.

Any ideas? Or should I just go give myself a swirly . . .

-Michelle