I followed this thread, and when saw this message I said at last I can make my overloaded server work faster with a small change, so I tried:

# mount -o remount,data=writeback /

and it answered:

mount: / not mounted already, or bad option

and in the log I found:

EXT3-fs: cannot change data mode on remount
EXT3-fs: Unrecognized mount option writeback

It seems that this option is not implemented in RH 9.0.

Samuel Flory wrote:

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On any given day, I'm dumping customer's HD contents to a ReiserFS
partition on my server - anywhere from a few gigs upward of 50-60gb -
along with the daily bits of moving around MP3's, AVI's, MPG's and
SVCD's - when I was using ext3, I had a much slower go of it, but since
using ReiserFS, it's definitely been smoother. This is a network file
server and all the "user" homes reside on ReiserFS, IMAP lives on
ReiserFS; I had been a proponent of ext3 for quite some time until I
"tested" ReiserFS for that reason - now I can't/won't go back.

Keep in mind that the default ext3 journaling mode is slow as hell. Mounting a partition with "data=writeback" greatly improves performance.