Yes, X is part of the problem, but that is inherent in the rather aged
design of X.  It is an event driven, *networked*, client-server
windowing system.  MS Win is none of the above.   X could be
streamlined, but then you give up one or more of the orignal design
goals.  X is always polling input devices for events, it communicates
through the network stack, and the clients are disjunct from the server.

That said, Gnome and KDE are pigs, but that is the nature of things
that are relatively immature.  There have been good X interfaces that
ran on Linux, but some were not as full featured as you would like and I
suspect the best of the pack (CDE) was priced more than you are anyone
wanted to pay. For nothing you get your choice of fast but not as
elegant and feature rich as the big boys, or big, feature rich, but
a bit bloated and slow.

As for Mozilla crapping out and freezing, the likely cause is a nice
memory leak.  I can run for two weeks or so before Mozilla takes a
break; over that span of time I can watch depletion in real memory,
then swap, and can predict within a few hours when it will die.  Not
really a GUI problem, just a need for someone to sit down and
trace down some code problems.

- rick warner