On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 16:48, Cliff Wells wrote:
> > OSX *is* essentially FreeBSD. As such, it sure does use X as the

> And being FreeBSD doesn't imply the existence of X.

> Unfortunately, I can't find anything describing what they *do* use
> (aside from Quartz and Aqua, which don't appear to be the core graphics
> subsystem).

Apologies for jumping in, but as I write this there's a RedHat and an
OSX machine on my desk.

It is not accurate to say that OS X is essentially FreeBSD. Pieces of
FreeBSD are there, as are portions of Mach and other non-BSD projects.
Plus, Apple's own additions.  I've used FreeBSD and it is not OS X; and
vice versa.

Quartz and Aqua are the core graphics systems. Quartz is the
graphics-handling engine, and Aqua is what you see on the screen. One of
the really nice things about Quartz is that it offloads calculations to
a supported graphics card, accelerating your display that much more.

Apple has offered a beta verson of X for download for several months. No
X applications are offered by Apple, but many X apps have been ported
via the Fink project and other efforts. Apple's X will, if you wish,
take over your display, or you can mix X and Aqua apps on your display
at the same time. When you done with it, you simply close it and go back
to the standard Aqua display.

Apple has announced that X will be included with their next OS rollout.
How or if they intend to make use of it remains to be seen.