On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:45:25AM -0400, Michael Gargiullo wrote:
> Most cable systems won't allow that to work.  I work for a cable
> company, and we only allow 1 MAC address to be associated with the cable
> modem.  Our system won't let that work at all.  I know comcast is the
> same way, and I believe optonline work the same as well.  I know your in
> the UK, so I have no idea how they run it there.  you can try it, but
> you'll lose the ability to run a hardware firewall.

That's why the MAC address spoofing feature of various router boxes is
valuable.  Set up with your computer following the rigid procedure of
the cable company, then have your router box step in and assume that
MAC address.

-kb, the Kent who glosses over details such as which router boxes do
what kinds of PPPoE and other protocols.