On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 11:57, Kent Borg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:45:25AM -0400, Michael Gargiullo wrote:
> > Most cable systems won't allow that to work.  I work for a cable
> > company, and we only allow 1 MAC address to be associated with the cable
> > modem.  Our system won't let that work at all.  I know comcast is the
> > same way, and I believe optonline work the same as well.  I know your in
> > the UK, so I have no idea how they run it there.  you can try it, but
> > you'll lose the ability to run a hardware firewall.
>
> That's why the MAC address spoofing feature of various router boxes is
> valuable.  Set up with your computer following the rigid procedure of
> the cable company, then have your router box step in and assume that
> MAC address.

Shouldn't need to, you can of course, but just run the dhcp client that
ships with redhat.  Run NAT with iptables, and your all set.  The lines
of code I sent to basic NAT masqurading and forwarding. Oh and my cable
modem connects to eth1, and my internal NIC is eth0.  you may need to
change the script a bit.

I also run the dhcp server on the inside NIC, eth0.

If your cable modem is on eth0, and your internal network is on eth1,
remember to change /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
 to read

DHCPDARGS = eth1

so your internal dhcp server only hands out addresses on your network,
not the cable modem network(Not a huge deal, but is likly to piss off
your cable operator).
--
Michael Gargiullo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Warp Drive Networks