>  Kenneth Goodwin wrote:
>
>  >1 - this system had two IDE drives in it at Linux
>  >installation time.
>  >    A (the MASTER) and B (The Slave), There is no SCSI, NO
>  >RAID, no LVM.  just a simple plain vanilla LINUX setup.
>  >
>  >

>      Nope.  The machine had ONE drive upon installation.
hdb wasn't
>  added till months later and was used only for storage of
>  backup files
>  (it doesn't even stay mounted all the time.)  This was
>  explained in a
>  previous email.

I stand corrected. I remember you now stating that,
sorry if I added to further confusion here,
but the correction does not change anything other than to
definitively prove your/our point that Drive B is not an
issue
in regards to GRUB. It is a side effect of it's removal from
the IDE Bus
that is behind your mystery and nothing else.

I think the Grub Developers might be interested in
discussing this with you.
Their code should not be having an issue here irregardless
of your
hardware changes. They probably have not come across
whatever the ROM BIOS
is presumably doing here before to mess things up. Maybe a
new grub tool
for floppy is in order here