>  > what I am saying is that the MBR may be crafted or
rebuild
>  > by anaconda for the two drive setup disk info.
>
>  It's grub-install/grub that creates stage1 based on the
grub.conf
>  created by anaconda.
>
>  > "Grub-install". which I have not seen admittedly, may
be based
>  > on a MAKE environment strategy. IF SO IT ONLY REBUILDS
The
>  > MBR if and only if some local disk file has changed
that a
>  > dependency has been declared for. It may not check to
see
>  > if the hardware environment changed. By cleansing out
the
>  > existing config
>  > info via a MAKE CLEAN or CLOBBER sequence , you should
force
>  > it to do a fresh
>  > rebuild from scratch on the MBR program which should
insert
>  > the new single drive related information. ie SO FAR
your
>  > newly written grub
>  > is the same image as the old grub that was on the mbr
>  > begin with.
>
>  You can get rid of the generated files like this,
preferably after
>  removing slave drive and after booting with boot disk:
>
>    rm /boot/grub/*1_5 /boot/grub/stage*
>    grub-install --recheck --force-lba /dev/hda
>
>  Option --force-lba might be interesting.

Especially if the MBR was originally created to use LBA
based IO routines
and the drive now thinks it's is something other than LBA
mode
or vise versa..........

In any case, good luck Ashley.............contact the grub
developers with your problem. They might be interested.