yOU DONT GET A BOOT time  MESSAGE ABOUTING CHECKING FOR new
hardware?

tHERE IS A PIECE OF ANACONDA THAT IS THE ADMINISTRATOR WHICH
YOU
        may have removed, but the hardware auto-detect piece
may be still installed. If it is, you get the "checking for
new hardware"
message on the console which is anaconda running on your
system.
Need to know because if it is totally purged, we know that
you did not cuase any config file changes through anaconda.
what do you remember about drive detection during the first
install of
drive B that might be a clue here?

M. Kirchner
>  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 2:31 PM
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Subject: Re: GRUB failure
>

>  Kenneth Goodwin wrote:
>
>  >what I am saying is that the MBR may be crafted or
rebuild
>  >by anaconda
>  >for the two drive setup disk info. Anaconda may not be
able
>  >to go
>  >backwards here, may not be able to undo in a return to
>  >single drive
>  >configuration - most people add hardware, not remove it,
it
>  >may have
>  >not been a tested situation. "Something" changed on the
>  >linux system
not
>  >being undone
>  >when he reboots with only one drive installed.
>  >
>  >
>      This never occurred to me till now, but...the only
time
>  anaconda ran
>  and did anything, was when the system was first
installed.  Both
>  anaconda and kudzu get removed after installation.  I run
>  tight ship,
>  and don't like having packages installed that aren't
needed
>  for daily
>  operations, so they go.  When I added the second drive
months later,
>  what would cause any kind of configuration being redone,
or whatever
>  config file rewritten (other than me manually running
fdisk
>  and mkfs.ext3)?
>
>  --
>  W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape
somewhere.

---------