From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ken Plumley
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 4:36 PM
To: Redhat List
Subject: Ethernet & DHCP Fails on Cable Modem to Internet

I am trying to setup an x86 box running red hat linux
8.0 to reach the internet using a cable modem. I used
the Network Configuration tool to configure eth0 to automatically obtain
IP address settings with DHCP and automatically obtain DNS information
from the ISP. When I try to activate eth0 using the Network
Configuration tool it fails with the message: Cannot activate network
device eth0.

I can reach the internet using the same cable modem at
the same location on a different machine running red
hat 6.2 with eth0 configured for dhcp.

Can some one please tell me how to configure dhcp on
RH 8.0 to work with the cable modem?

Thanks in advance.

Ken