>  I only put one machine on the internet at a time.

Forgive if redundant to any previous questioning ....

DO YOU -

        1) Move the cable from the ethernet port on "working
machine"
                to ethernet port on broken machine.
        2) reboot the cable modem.
        3) wait a few minutes for the cable modem and connection to
reset.
        4) boot the "broken machine"
        5) Check via ifconfig -a to see if IP address, etc is set.