Rik,

The cable modem has it's own MAC address to
authenticate with the ISP.

Earlier in my trouble shooting I tried what you
suggested for setting the eth0 MAC address to the same
MAC address of the NIC on a machine I have
successfully used to assess the internet with the
cable modem. But eth0 still fails to activate.

The lease expiries within a few minutes of being
disconnected from the internet and when  I access the
intenet again I get a new IP address.

Ken