If you have a windows computer that has worked before then get the ip
address and the dns address that worked before then hard code that in
the linux box to see if that works if that works then you don't have
dhcp setup correctly.  If that doesn't work then make sure your cable
modem is provisioned(sp) by the ISP if you have never had it hooked up
before.  You know MAC address etc....