>  Steve,
>
>  Yes, I tried unpluging and reseting the cable modem
>  too. It still dosen't work.
>
>  Ken

1) I presume you already reset the linux box for DHCP
service for this NIC's address
so it should DHCP poll when you reboot the machine. ie you
Checked the /etc/sysconfig/net*
files and subdirectories.

2) If you are plugging into the cable modem's ethernet port
directly,
I presume you have the proper (usually CROSSOVER) cable and
have LINK
lights on at both ends of the cable.

3) I presume the cable modem has been checked with it's
software
and it is configured to be a dhcp passlong server. (check
it's manual or software)

4) I presume all the above and been checked and that an
ifconfig shows no IP address
subnet mask ,etc being assigned???

5) Since you are already working on a  standard LAN with
static addresses
then it is a simple configuration issue somewhere, not a
linux kernel, driver , etc issue.
Ie you are on the verge of a "Ah! Duh! Stupid Me!" event
horizon.