Maybe you need a cross over cable and are using a straight
through cable. Check the link lights on the
cable modem (labeled PC usually) and your ethernet card.
They should light as long as the link is established
hardwrtae
wise and there is power at both ends.

Is the other machine being cabled the exact same way with
these
cables? Or do you know they work because you tried them
somewhere else where the cable was used to connect a pc to a
hub or switch?

Is the ethernet port on the cable modem a 10 MBPS port,
the ethernet card in the working PC a 10/100 card and this
card only a 100?  in other words, could you have
a port speed mismatch in some fashion even if you have LINK.

Plumley
>  Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 2:23 PM
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Subject: RE: Ethernet & DHCP Fails on Cable Modem to