>  Ken,
>
>  Maybe you've already tried this, but my cable modem has a
"feature"
>  which requires it to be reset every time a new device is
plugged
>  into it.
>
>  -Steve

different ken here, BTW - that feature is called ARP,Address
Resolution Protocol,
the cable modem has learned the ethernet mac address to IP
address conversion for your
NIC card. You either wait  for the "time to live" (TTL)  of
the ARP table entry
to expire and refresh grabbing your new mac address, OR you
wipe it clean
with a Reboot or an arp -d (delete) command if available.

It's not a bug, it is supposed to work that way. Nothing on
a network
really "talks" in terms of names or IP addresses, it really
is done
using MAC addresses at the low end. IP addresses were
invented
as a way to standardize around the different sizes of MAC
addresses
between ethernet , token ring, arcnet, etc that were around
at the time.
The local nets build ARP tables to translate the virtual IP
address
into a real hardware address on the local network.

Novell's IPX was based on using MAC addresses originally as
I recall and
then "zoning" them for more complex networks.

Internet