On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 17:16, Denham Eva wrote:
> Hello Stephen,
>
> Thanks for your input, appreciated. I've tried starting the vncserver
> manually I also used the -name gnome and I tried the kde option. However the
> gnome-settings-daemon still crashes.
> This is the error message:
> Application "gnome-settings-daemon"(process 1438) has crashed due to fatal
> error.
> Stephen would it be possible for you to give me an idea of what settings you
> use. When you start the vncserver do you use any Xnc settings in the
> command?
> My command looks like this:
> vncserver :1 -name gnome
>
> Thanks for the input so far.
> Denham

For instance - on a box I'm working on, I have a script that is:

#! /bin/sh

cd /root

vncserver -geometry 1500x1100 -depth 16 -name ROJO :1

exit 0

# End options

...works fine for me - as it stands.
...now I did notice on another box I had recently that Gnome was having
problems ASIDE from using VNC - that using it "locally" Gnome was
mucking up left and right (logged in as root on that box); but after
blowing out all the ~/root/.gnome* and ~/root/.gcon* files and folders,
and letting Gnome recreate them, that I was back to having a nice stable
Gnome again - both locally or via VNC...

Have you done any updates or anything to your system? Have you run
"up2date" (not that you're going to get anywhere with that in the next
day or so); have you tried checking out what's causing
gnome-settings-daemon to crash?

--
Sat Aug 30 17:40:01 EST 2003
 17:40:01 up 5 days,  7:26,  3 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.61, 0.60