>  Been there, done that.  Fortran IV was where it was at!
At
>  the time I
>  took my programming languages course, we took APL, Algol
and PL/1.  C
>  wasn't invented yet.  We also studied Fortran, Cobol, and
Assembler
>  (good old IBM 360 at that).

I have(had) a friend in college who was an APL freak. Used
to tell
us Fortran/Cobol jocks that he could write any program in
One line of code.
did some Snobol once, How about that old standard for report
writers
before CrystaL Reports - RPG and RPG-2

>  Don't forget about the original ASCII art though - a box
of
>  punch cards
>  to produce two pages out output, with many of the lines
>  overstruck 3-5
>  times.  I had some beauties.  You'd call the computer
room
>  and ask them
>  to change the ribbon in the printer, and then run your
deck through.
>  The operators sure knew what was happening by the sound
the printers
>  made, and would cuss your name...  I kept a few boxes of
>  these until it
>  I moved in 1990 and just couldn't justify hanging on to
them
>   any more.
>  I had them for over 10 years though.

I think I still may have a reel of tape with those images on
them somewhere.
The "Enterprise" and Spock images were my personal
favorites.

>  I've booted 11/70s so many times I'm sure I could walk up
>  one today
>  and toggle the switches for the boot loader just by
instinct.

heck, I used to debug OS code problems by single stepping
those
pretty little LEDS through the Binary instruction set. try
and do that
on a PC....... source level debuggers, phewey! real
compsci-er's debug in
bit fields in RAM in real time. (all right, i confess,
that is stretching things a wee bit)

>  You ain't lived until you've written the overlay code for
>  RSX-11M.  Pick
>  which libraries are in memory at any one time - you've
only
>  got 64K to
>  work with.
>
>  I've worked with 800bpi tapes, spent 250K for a pair of
tri-density
>  (800/1600/6250) tape drives, etc.

I remember RSX11-M , never did anything in it, it sat on the
shelf as
endless boxes of paper tapes. We were running that new
fangled
UNIX operating system.

>  Them were the good old days, when you dealt with techs
that
>  had to know
>  more than just which board to swap.  I still judge a
tech's
>  competence
>  these days by how old he (and very rarely she) is.

Remember when they actually carried in and used an
Oscilloscope?

>  Those of you complaing about bandwidth should remember
the
>  early days.
>  300baud acoustic modems on a Silent 700 terminal with
>  thermal paper. At
>  my first job, we paid 60 cents per 1000 characters
transmitted or
>  received.  Those charges could really add up!

Remember how excited you were when 1200 Baud modems were
announced?
what DID THEY COST BACK THEN, like $2-3 GRAND each?

I remember setting up inter-office communications using 2400
baud analog
modems that were as big as todays PC's over dedicated voice
circuits
tied to Timeplex Asynch Mux banks to run DEC VT100 terminal
connections
between our remote offices and the main office. 12 terminals
running at 120 characters
per second if they each took turns and overlapped right. The
users were all
excited when we upgraded the link to 9600 baud modems a few
years later.

Hayes started to take off as a company back then and became
KING of MODEMS for
quite a while. I remember running UUCP over Telebit
Trailblazer modems
for NETNEWS in a point to Point UUCP "HoneyDanBer" dialup
network.

from Darpa to Arpa to Internet in what about 30 years?