On Saturday 13 September 2003 01:57 am, Kalin Mintchev wrote:
> > It takes 10-15mins tops, on decent machine. Certainly less than half an
> > hour. The time you took for testing and searching for RPM could easily
> > have taken longer than the time you'd taken if you recompile PHP to suit
> > your need. I do this on regular basis, so I know.
> > It's not a matter of platform, BSD, RH, Mandrake, Suse, anything, it does
> > not matter. What matter is, is PHP compiled with what you need, againts
> > the correct libs?
>
> i just don't understand why the source code from php.net would not compile
> the same on bsd, sun or rh box..

What do you mean? It would compile the same if you give it the same configure
option. If you also have the same php.ini, it would also behaves the same
way.

> why it HAS to be an rpm to have the php
> cli working.
No it does not have to be an RPM. Who said that it has?

>  what's wrong with the install script checking for your os and
> then installing the correct cli?

What install script are you talking about? If you try to compile from source,
all you have to do is
$> cd <php_source_dir>
$> ./configure <put  configure option>
$> make
$> make install

I've never heard of any install script. If you meant the configure script, you
have to give it the correct options so that it compiles with the correct
stuff.

> i the problem is that the the php scripts run by cron are identical on
> both machines - as are the php 4.3.0 sources - but the ones ported over to
> the RH8 machine are giving me this error:
>
> test code:
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/php
> <?
>  $db = mysql_connect(localhost, "user", "pass");
>  mysql_select_db("mymaindb",$db);
>  $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM theTable",$db);
>  printf("l1: %s\n", mysql_result($result,0,"some_column"));
> ?>

Are both machine has the same php.ini? Try using
<?php

instead of just <?

RDB
<snip>